Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spectacular Solar Halo

I was in the studio this afternoon working on wedding album designs when I decided to take a break and head outside to enjoy the beautiful spring day here on the Cape.  I looked up and saw this amazing 22° solar halo surrounding the Sun..... I just had to run back inside and grab the camera! :-)  To capture the wide field of view you see in the image, I used a 15mm fisheye on the Canon 5D which covers 180°.

A 22° solar halo is an optical phenomenon forming a circle 22° around the sun. It forms as sunlight is refracted in hexagonal ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere... usually from high altitude cirrus clouds.

You can also find this image on my astroimaging site at this URL: http://www.abmedia.com/astro/current/solar-halo.html

Enjoy the view!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment