Sunday, August 23, 2009

Air Force One lands on the Cape

As most everyone knows by now, President Obama and the first family are vacationing on Martha's Vineyard this coming week and arrived today.

Since the airport on Martha's Vineyard does not have a long enough airstrip to handle the landing of a 747 aircraft, the president and Air Force One landed this afternoon at Otis Air National Guard Base here on the Cape where they have multiple 10,000ft runways. They would then fly by helicopter on Marine One over to the Vineyard. Unfortunately, the base was under very tight security during his arrival and closed to all public visitors with only the press being allowed access.... a real bummer for me... but fully understood!

So, wanting to try and get a good photo of the plane landing, I needed to get as close as possible to the runway but still be on public land. I Google Earth'd the base and found that if I drove to the Heritage Park baseball fields in Sandwich off Rte 130, it would get me 3950ft away. Darn close!! In the end, it worked out pretty well. I was able to capture this beautiful aircraft just above the distant tree line and seconds before it touched down. All in all, a fun photo adventure! :-)

I hope the first family enjoys the Vineyard and visiting this beautiful part of the country.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment