Monday, August 2, 2010

Capturing the High Sierra - Part 1

I recently decided to take a long weekend and travel out to California to see my dad.  It was one of the few weekends I had free all summer from my very busy wedding and portrait season. 

To give a quick background, before moving to the Cape, he and I had always gone up to the Sierra every year for our annual hiking/backpacking/photography trip.  It had been over 8 years since I had been up into these stunningly beautiful mountains so we decided it was time to do a father/son trip again.  I've been to many different regions including South Lake, Lake Sabrina, Rock Creek, Pioneer Basin, Pine Creek, Yosemite, Tioga, Tuolumne Meadows and Mammoth Lakes.  We decided to go back to Mammoth Lakes.  This region is one of my favorites... high snow clad peaks, tons of high alpine lakes, good fishing and amazing hiking trails.  Below are the first in a series of images that I took during the trip.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed shooting them! :-)

These four b&w's were taken just north of Bishop off route 395.  Besides the eastern escarpment around Mt. Whitney, this is one of the most dramatic views in the eastern Sierra.  


Wild horses roam the Owens Valley below 13,187 ft Basin Mountain


The eastern Sierra near Bishop


13,992 ft Mt. Humphreys & 13,187 ft Basin Mtn.


The Bishop Big Three
13,992 ft Mt. Humphreys, 13,187 ft Basin Mtn., 13,658 ft Mt. Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment